July 17, 2009

How does your garden grow?

I have a theory that what interests you as a child will always interest you. At three months I "sang" along to music. The first job I ever wanted was a Fashion Designer. I read, wrote, and told stories from the moment I could do each. Mysteries grasp my attention. And things having to do with History and The United Kingdom intrigued me always. So I really shouldn't be surprised by how much I loved the thing I am about to tell you. It involves every one of those things.

When I was a little girl I remember the Disney channel had an afternoon programme (this was back when the Disney channel play things that didn't rot your brain and teeth) where they would play "vintage Disney" shorts. Most of these were some of the silly symphonies, or other shorts that had originally been played before the feature movies. One such one that has always stuck with me was one called "The Truth About Mother Goose." I've always loved nursery rhymes and mother goose stories, but there was something about that short that stuck with me- especially the story of "Mary, Mary, quite Contrary" (which has always been my favourite rhyme). I would dream of been an Elizabethan woman dressed in her beautiful blue gown. That dress took my breath away. I remember telling my parents all about it, replaying the scenes in my head. Every once in a while I will sit back and remember the cartoon with such delight I can barely stand it. I've tried to find releases of it on VHS or DVD, I've tried to find out the real name of the short, with no suck luck. But the beautiful colours and images made a deep and beautiful imprint on my child's memory.

Then last night I struck gold. I found a new really wonderful blog called Strawberry Lemonade. One of her posts was on finding an old Disney Record with a booklet explaining the stories on the record. it was called "Mother Goose Rhymes and Their Stories." I recognized this at once and squealed with delight (ask Bri she was laughing at how excited I was about it). Well armed with a name I hit up Google Images hoping to find some of the beautiful illustrations. And there it was. The Youtube link. They have the whole short on youtube!!! I've posted it for you to watch. Not only is it charming and adorable, There is something so darkly romantic about it all. This only covers three tales, and is a bit long, but I promise you won't regret watching it. I also found that this short opened Alice in Wonderland . And guess what? Mary's blue dress still takes my breath away! (even if they got the history a little wrong) So please to enjoy The Truth About Mother Goose!
(I promise pajama photos soon!)
Part One


Part Two

No comments:

Post a Comment