May 19, 2010

"I think you're 14 and you're an idiot; you took a roofie from a priest."

There is a very good excuse for my absence. Remember Mark Twain and that quote about fish and family? Well one or the other was at my place all weekend, and I needed a break. Anyways, on Sunday I went to the Redlands Bowl Shakespeare Festival to watch Romeo & Juliet along with Bri, Jessica, Sarah, and Sarah's mom. It was a really nice day (and the weather wasn't too bad either), and we had a really lovely evening! We dove out to Redlands through the canyon, which is an oddly pretty drive even if it is mostly desert.

014




015

I really like winding roads!


016




018

Jessica and Bri think finger gestures are hilarious.


023




024

Redlands has a ton of really beautiful Victorian and Craftsman houses. The yellow one has always been one of my favourites.


025




026




027

We had a lovely spread of food and drinks and our spot on the grass what right at the foot of stage left. Perfection!


028




031

This is so good! The perfect picnic drink!


033

There was a pre-show of a flute chorus. It was pretty good. I'm not big on the flute, but it was nice background music to our shenanigans.


034




035

I love this picture!


037



I also love blackberries!


039




040

Hat, sweater and dress- vintage, sandals- target


041




042

I've decided this is the best picnic dress ever. I'm going to live in it this summer! And thanks for the photos Jess!




045

I also love this picture!


046

heeheehee


047

Charissa decided to join us via telephone!


048




049

and Jess got ahold of my camera.


052




054

There were some little girls who Sarah started a feud with. She almost threw our bottle opener at them.


056


This was our view of the stage. Pretty good!

057


This stuff is amazing! I bought it at World Market.


059


Then the show started. It was... interesting. I wasn't a huge fan of this production on the whole, however, I really liked the guy who played the priest. He was excellent.


062



The sword fighting was pretty cool though!


074



and the costumes were also well done.


076



Romeo was pretty good too. A little campy at times, but he's Romeo...


080



However Juliet could not die soon enough. She was SO annoying. She played the character like she was actually a modern 13 year old at a Justin Bieber concert. I was ready to "happy dagger" her myself about ten minutes into the show.


082



This was an invention of mine. One bottle of champagne, plus two of those big jugs of cran-rasp. juice, plus four limes. This photo was supposed to simulate the effect of too much of it...


083



We were both plotting Juliet's demise.


086



Then there was more sword play.

094


And finally Juliet died. Not soon enough I tell you. Her giggle was enough to make me want to rip out her vocal chords. Good gosh!
Anyways, over all the night was a huge success. The Shakespeare Festival goes on for another two weeks and they are also performing Hamlet, and A Midsummer's Night's Dream, which we're going to see this Saturday. If you live locally, or semi locally, definitely go check it out. If anything you can sympathize with my dislike of Juliet. As for the title of this post enjoy this video (which is actually only funny if you've ever been in theatre):



I sware these videos are the only thing that gets me through some work days!

2 comments: