September 23, 2011

Guest Post - It's Pumpkin Time

Why, hello there, dear Yammering Muse readers! My name is Sarah and I have a blog called Gypsy Skirt Vintage. I was so thrilled when Ashley asked me to do a guest post for her while she's off starting her new life, because I have been a fan of her sweet blog almost as long as I've been blogging. I am also excited because I have the honour of posting on the autumn equinox! This is my favourite time of year. So much great stuff happens in the fall. Besides Halloween and Thanksgiving, fall is also when my wedding anniversary happens, my husband's birthday, and our local Scottish highland games. Needless to say, we are gearing up for quite a busy next few months.

(I'm wearing: Vintage 50s Ann Taylor Dress - Etsy, Vintage 80s Ivory Belt - Thrifted, Headband - H&M, Ballet Flats - DSW)

But what I really want to talk about today, folks, is the great pumpkin. Fall in my house means pumpkin time.

We're
quite the pumpkin fiends around here, and come late September it starts to show. Every year it is our tradition to go to our favourite pumpkin farm and load up a wheelbarrow full of pumpkins and squashes (and maybe some colourful Indian corn thrown in for good measure). Little mini white pumpkins arranged on the kitchen table, a blue cinderella style pumpkin on the mantle, a giant pumpkin for the front porch (the bigger the better in case you have pumpkin pinchers in your neighbourhood, like we do...), and of course plenty of sugar pumpkins for baking with. Lots and lots of baking...

I love being able to make delicious autumn treats like pumpkin pie and pumpkin soup, so I thought I'd share one of my very favourite fall recipes with you. I make pumpkin soup at least once a week in the fall and winter, and this recipe is yummy, healthy, and so very easy to make. If you have a can of pumpkin in your cupboard, chances are you can whip this up easily. So without further ado...

Homemade Spiced Pumpkin Soup

1 can of pumpkin or equivalent of prepared pumpkin
1 large onion or 2 medium onions, chopped into small pieces
1 teaspoon of oil
4 cups of vegetable broth (either store bought or made with veggie bouillon cubes)
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
Dash of ground cloves
3 tablespoons brown sugar (give or take a little, depending on how sweet the pumpkin/cinnamon ends up being, I usually do it to taste)
Dash of salt
1/4 cup of milk

In a medium sized pot, brown the onion with the cinnamon stick and the oil. Add the pumpkin and spices and stir everything together well. Transfer the contents of the pot (except for the cinnamon stick, which you will want to leave in the pot for later) into a food processor. Puree everything well. Place back into the pot with the cinnamon stick and add the veggie broth. Allow this to simmer for at least 30 minutes. Add sugar and dash of salt to taste. Turn off the heat and stir in the milk. Makes about 4 servings.

I hope you enjoyed my little ode to pumpkins. Happy autumn equinox!

No comments:

Post a Comment