September 22, 2011

Autumn is for Knitting

Hello, all! Andi B. Goode here. I was quite chuffed to be asked to do a guest post and, even though I'm from the Southern Hemisphere and we're in Spring, I'm going to talk a little bit about what I love about Autumn. For one, I love the relief after the often long and hot summer (though right now I'm hankering for things to warm up a bit) and, for another, I love being able to get back to one of my favourite hobbies: knitting.

I can knit at any time of the year, and often do, but there's just something special about the weather cooling and sitting rugged up on the couch with your knitting needles, a cup of tea and an episode of Marple on the TV.

Now, I'm still rather an amateur and not very ambitious at that but I do well enough and I'm getting a pretty good collection of patterns going, too. So, I'm going to share some of my favourites of what I've made and some of my pattern collection.


IMG_3252

A photo showing my entire knitting pattern collection to date. I have patterns ranging from the 1930s through the 1980s. I got a lot of these from a lovely friend who passed her collection on to me when she no longer wanted it as well as at various op shops (thrift stores) and fairs, etc.

  IMG_3258

Most of my patterns are from Patons & Baldwins.

IMG_3259

IMG_3260

IMG_3262

IMG_2460
The mustard sweater on the left is just the perfect colour for Autumn.

IMG_2462

I love my knitting pattern collection for many reasons: the first, of course, that I can make cute knitwear I can't buy otherwise and the second that they're a great resource for hairstyle inspiration as well!

IMG_2368

And here I am wearing one of the favourite things I've knitted - the 'Marcia' hat from one of my 1950s pattern booklets. The pom-poms took me hours but I think it was worth it!

 IMG_2979
 My attempt at the 'Three Hour' sweater.
 IMG_2213

A scarf I made from the same yarn. This pattern is really simple (though I modified it as I was using thicker yarn than called for) and you can find the pattern here if you'd like to make it yourself!

 IMG_1640

And here's another scarf that I made - you can find the pattern for this one here. There's that great mustard colour, again. I just love it in Autumn.

Real Dash in a Jiffy-Knit 

For good measure, here is the first cardigan that I ever made. This is an image from the original pattern booklet. I think this is great for Autumn, too - short sleeves but thick yarn. It works for me, anyway.

For more of my knitting adventures you can find me at ravelry, look through my knitting tag on my blog or check out the knitting collection I have at flickr (there are more patterns from my collection there, too).

Love,
Andi B. Goode
x

No comments:

Post a Comment