October 3, 2011

The Saga of Ashley's Move to Oregon Pt 1

I have a lot of stuff. This will surprise noone, but I feel this statement needs to preface this post. I have a lot of stuff.

So when it came time for me to pack up all my worldly belongings and trek them nearly 1000 miles, you can probably imagine how ovewhelming it was. It took my mom and I from Thursday 9/15 until Tuesday 9/20 to pack up all my stuff. Granted, most of it was going into storage (we'll get there eventually), but um, seriously I had so much "stuff."  I ended up having to move into a much smaller space (we'll get there eventually), so I had to cut back on what I could bring. I think in total there was five bags of stuff I got rid of and sent to Goodwill. About 85% of my stuff was put in storage along with my furniture. I'm actually quite impressed with how little I ended up taking!!

001

002

003

004

008

009

010


After everything was boxed up, labeled, and packed in our trailer, we left. It was much later than planned, but it ended up working out perfectly! Remember this? Well it was finally time for me to use it!!! And so we began our journey. My mom really hates driving the 101. I really hate driving the 5. So we compromised and drove the 101 up to San Francisco and then cut over to the 5, which runs right through Corvallis. It was a long exhausting drive, but a lovely way to spend some of the last few days with my family. The scenery was beautiful (while I hate California, I do love how beautiful the coast is!), and the company wonderful.

011

013

015

019

021

027

030

031

032

034

035

037

038

039

042

043

044

046

047


We pulled over to sleep around 3 am somewhere North of San Francisco, but neither my mom or I could really sleep (plus is was so dang hot, and Grace was sleeping in my lap and is her own personal heater), so about 6-ish we started to drive again. We did pull over at a rest stop for showers and breakfast, and met some nice hippies and headed back on our way.

048

050

051

054

055

056

057

058

059

060

065

068

069

073

074

075

077

079

080

083

084

085

086

088
(I was driving at this point so my lovely mother obliged by taking pictures for me! Thanks mama!)

The journey was pretty uneventful until we stopped for gas after we crossed the boarder. We all had a bathroom break and when Grace and I came out Eric was telling my mom how some old man handed him a bag filled with a "nefarious looking green herb" and told him a Hitchhiker left it in his car. We all had a good laugh because we often joke how Eric looks like a stoner half the time (he's just a really laid back dude). He then told us he left the bag on the counter inside the gas station and my mom said "You should have kept it! we could have sold it and covered part of Ashley's tuition!" Welcome to my family. (she was joking by the way)

089

090

091

092

093

094

Finally around 5:00pm we rolled into Corvallis! My mom checked into their hotel and then we headed over to my room. To make an incredibly long (and really rather stressful) story short, I didn't end up getting into the Student Apartments, and pretty much every apartment in town was taken. There was an incident involving an apartment complex that was a bit fishy, and in the end I am soooo glad I didn't get one there either. So I ended up moving into the dorms. Yeah. It's not so terrible, but I am in a freshman dorm for international students and jocks. So those people who think that sweats are actual clothes, oh yeah, I live with them. I do have a single room and I just share a bathroom with one other girl (who is also from California), so it's not all bad. Thankfully it is a mostly quiet hall, however I am right by all the sports complexes, and apparently one of the sororities thought they and their pledges needed to camp out under my window this weekend... I'm actually on the fifth floor but I can hear everything that happens on the street as if I'm right next to it. Very weird.

That is all for now. Part 2 will be up later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment