August 5, 2009

Polkadotted Nuns

Oops! I did not mean to skip posting yesterday! I got up early and everything rearing to be uber productive, was uber productive and then one o'clock rolled around and I was so dern tired I couldn't keep my eyes open. I've been trying to get myself into bed at ten or eleven o'clock at the latest, but each night it seems I don't get into bed til midnight or nearly one. Which is messing up my morning mojo. I've also discovered that this causes an inability in me to read a clock properly. Twice now I've read it either upside down and backwards, or gotten the time wrong entirely. Once I woke up and ten fifteen (pm) and couldn't figure out why my house was so quiet when in reality it was 3:45 (am). Today I woke up, threw on clothes because it was eight thirty and that means my dad was getting ready to leave and since my car is currently out of commission, I had to go with him. While I was frantically brushing my teeth I could not figure out why I did not hear my mother cooking breakfast. So I ran down stairs and Bri was asleep on the couch and I yelled at her "Bri get up! It's 8:30!" only to look at the clock and see that it was in fact 7:35. I almost punched myself in the face. Anyways in other exciting news, today Bri and I went to her bank and while in line we saw nuns. No joke. Nuns in Wamu, or whatever it's called now. I took pictures for proof:

SEE!!! I was so excited! I am not catholic, but the idea of Nuns in a bank cracked me up and I scrambled to get my camera out in time to take pictures. I do apologize for their horrid-ness. Bank lighting is bad.

And here is the polka dot dress I made! I quite love it. Sorry that the pictures aren't awesome, I'll take better ones tomorrow, I just haven't had a chance to do so. I spilled ice cream on it and there was a tree climbing incident that left bark splatter, and our washer is dead until tomorrow. I didn't use a pattern for this, just cut and sewed and readjusted until I liked it. It's not perfect, but it is 96.7 % perfect. I'll write up how I did it and exactly what I would change later. I do want to mention the bias tape. It's vintage that my mom picked up a long time ago and I've always loved it. I was going to go with plain red bias tape, but then I saw this and thought that the patter mixing would be pretty cute. So voila! there you have it. My other favourite thing about it is the back which I will have to show you later since I didn't get any pictures of it. I'm thinking of making a few more and improving the design a little. This dress is a cotton and it is sooooo nice for these horrible hot days we're having. I think I could live in this dress. Though next time I'll remember not to make one in white. I am far to klutzy/adventurous-when-it-comes-to-trees-and-hills-of-dirt for white dresses. Also how awesome is that jump!

Dress- home made by me
Belt- Torrid
Bag- 80's Dooney and Bourke
Flats- Pinupgirlclothing.com
Ribbon- somewhere in the garage.

2 comments:

  1. I do that ALL THE TIME.
    except, i'll know i have t be somewhere at 9, and i need an hour to get up, get ready, and get there, so i think; i need to get up at 6:30. i'll like, completely and retardedly miscalculate the time and then not realize until i'm all ready to go and i look at the clock to see if i'm late, and realize i don't need to leave for 45 minutes! it's so annoying when you're sleep deprived...which is when it usually happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress looks darling! Love the polka dots.

    And the nuns are quite amazing. I have such an exaggerated imagination that if it had been me, I would have immediately assumed they were bank robbers in very creative getups! ;) (this is not the first thing I should have thought of. All the nuns I have ever know have been entirely lovely and respectable!)

    ReplyDelete