May 10, 2011

Mother's Day

002

004

Y'know what they say, if you find a good park to celebrate holidays at, do it for every holiday....

005

009

010

While waiting for some people to arrive, Chelsea, Grace, Fraser and I explored more of the park. It's funny, when I was a kid I spent a fair amount of time here (and won the Epic Roller-Blade-Off of 1993 here). When I was a teenager I decided that this was to be the location of my wedding. Now as an adult I really am just so taken by how beautiful it all is. The vibrant colours of the flowers, the beautiful layout, and a fair bit of sweet nostalgia all make this place a favourite of mine. And then Delaney announced that she wanted to be married here...

011

Bri, Chel, and I were all in charge of Mother's day this year. My grandparents came in from Arizona for my baby cousin's dedication and afterwards came over to the park for lunch. We had an amazing meal, all cooked by Chelsea, yummy desserts that Bri made, and one of the best afternoons playing games and sitting in the breeze. A random cold snap came in this weekend and Sunday was a beautiful 62 degrees, with a very chilly wind. I was quite pleased. My job in the whole affair was organization of people, and places. Trust me, my sisters got the easy jobs ;-)

015
Pansies from our garden on an amazing 6 layer lemon chiffon cake with home made lemon curd. Yes, it was to die for (and for those who always ask for the recipes, I promise I will be providing them soon!)

018

028

031

033

We have become quite obsessed with playing croquet. Eric is not athletically minded in the least, but proclaimed this his "favourite sport." My dad is still wondering if we should tell him it isn't exactly a sport....

035

036

037

Midnight on Saturday I decided that I needed a new skirt to wear. Old faithful, some blue linen, and two and a half hours later, I had my new favourite skirt. No really, I love this dumb skirt. Best hem I've ever done, best sewing I've ever done. Also, linen is not the fabric of my life. I fully intent to live in it all summer long.

039

042

045

046

052

While my flower arranging skills leave much to be desired (honestly I was so frustrated with other things that I only arranged about five flowers and then threw in the rest!), the colours were absolutely beautiful together.

058

060

Bri's key lime tart. Best key lime I've ever had!

062

Someone stole some frosting from the cake.

064

065

Eventually the fact that I was up until 2:30 in the morning caught up with me, so I laid down on a blanket to read (FINALLY getting to Never Let Me Go, which I am so far throughly enjoying (if that is the right word)). I ended up falling asleep for a little while as the down-right chilly breeze blew my skirts about. A perfect day.

066

068

070

All photos by Delaney and myself.

I hope your day was just as wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. i love that your family gets together and has such beautiful fun together! i want to be adopted!

    where are those round scalloped trivets/place mats/amazing things from? they're beautiful! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful day! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete