February 14, 2012

Lovely Crafts

Happy Valentines Day! There are many things one can complain about Valentines Day, but I for one am choosing to look on the bright side (especially since I have a midterm this morning...) and focus on the positive. Here are the things I love about Valentines Day:

  • That you can wear hearts and no one questions your sanity
  • chocolate.
  • the colour red
  • chocolate
  • it's totally okay to watch dumb, sappy romantic movies and bawl like a baby. I have a date with P.S. I Love You.
  • Flowers
  • Pretty dresses
  • wearing red and pink together that that being totally okay
  • chocolate
  • Love.
I especially like the chocolate part (just don't tell anyone I bought myself my own box of chocolates.). But if you like me, are in the middle of midterms and have no idea what flirting actually looks like, and will be staying in with your "dates" named Ben and Jerry, here is a pretty craft to make your night brighter, and definitely more sparkly.  Though I do recommend not dropping your bottle of glitter on your clean laundry....

Valentines Garland:
You will need:

  • 2 Colours of Glitter
  • Glue
  • Scissors
  • String (I used bakers twine)
  • Paper
  • Pencil
  • Paint Brush
Step one: Draw a heart, trace, and cut it out. You will need two hearts for every letter, for instance I cut out eight to spell "Love."



Step Two: Using your paint brush, draw the letters in the center of the heart. Cover in glitter and let dry. After the letter has dried, paint the glue on the rest of the paper and repeat as above. Make sure to get as close to the edges of the letters as you can!



Step Three: Measure out your string. Place a small dot of glue on the wrong side of your glittered hearts. *Note: I ended up doing mine pretty low which meant my hearts had a tenancy to be top heavy. Placing the string a bit higher than I have is will avoid that.* Place the string on the glue and push down to secure. This step is mostly for keeping the string in place before the next step. Make sure to evenly space your letters out.


Step Four: Using the extra hearts you cut out cover one side (the matches up to the hearts on the string) in glue. I switched to a glue stick here as it had a better hold. Place the glued side of the second heart over the wrong side of the first heart encasing the string.



Step Five:  Trim any excess paper from around the heart and touch up any spots missing glitter. Hang and enjoy!






I hung mine above my bathroom sink and I think I'll leave it!
Happy Valentines Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment