June 19, 2012

Buñuelos 



One of my favourite places to eat in San Diego is El Indio. My parents discovered the place while they were in college and I have been eating there my whole life. They serve Mexican-Indian food, and are seriously one of the most delicious places in the world. It also happens to be where the Taquito was invented (Which if you go to Taco Time in Oregon they call that a burrito, which is what my father thought was a burrito until he moved to California... so many things wrong with that.). If you ever happen into San Diego I definitely recommend El Indio, especially the Enchiladas, which are my favourite!



As a kid my favourite thing was when my parents would pick up a take home bag of their chips and another of the Buñuelos. Buñuelos roughly translates as 'doughnuts,' but these are actually fried flour tortillas covered in cinnamon sugar. Oh! They are heavenly!! One bag is never enough and in my family they always are gone too quickly. A few days ago I was seriously craving El Indio (frankly I'd have taken any good Mexican food at that point!), so I decided to make myself some Buñuelos. These are ridiculously simple to make simply take some flour tortillas and cut them into your desired shape, heat up some oil in a frying pan, and fry the tortilla pieces until they are golden brown on either side. Transfer the fried tortillas to a bag full of cinnamon and sugar, shake, and voila! I should warn you that they are terribly addictive. I ended up bringing a bag of them on our road trip last weekend. They were gone far too soon. In fact I think I shall whip up some more right now...


No comments:

Post a Comment