June 13, 2012

Pita Pizzas


I love having a kitchen, but I am seriously lazy about cooking. Also my body clock is completely weirded out by the sun setting at like 9:15pm these days, so I get thrown off by what time it is, and suddenly it's really too late to eat... But lately I've been forcing myself to cook more, even if that means just making some mac'n'cheese.

When I was a kid my mom would make us Pita Pizzas. They were kid sized and you could customize your pizza to your personal tastes. So Bri could get her's filled with all those nasty veggies I hated, and I could stick with my plain cheese. While these days I am not quite such a picky eater (<--- total lie), I still really love these mini personal pizzas. They're perfect for lunches or dinners and because you're only using half the pita, they're pretty economical too!



Pita Pizzas
You will need:
Pita Bread
Pizza Sauce (I usually make my own, but our store of spices are rather depleted so I have been buying this organic stuff. It's quite good!
Mozzarella Cheese (or any cheese you prefer)
Toppings (I have moved on from plain cheese to pepperoni. Ever the risk taker...)

Method:


1. Start by splitting the pita in half. Pita bread is a tad on the delicate side, but I use a large serrated edge knife  and slide it along the sides until I have two halves.


2. Next cover your pita in a layer of pizza sauce. I'm not a huge sauce fan, so I usually just give it a thin-ish layer of sauce and call it a day.


3. Cover in cheese.


4. Add your toppings and broil for about 5-7 minutes. I use a toaster oven, and these cook up perfectly in there.


5. Enjoy! 

These are super simple to make and incredibly delicious! While I am a big fan of traditional pizza crust, I have been trying to cut out most bread products from my diet, and these are just thin enough I don't feel bad! I've also started freezing them. I make up a bunch and seal them in individual ziplock bags. When I want one I just pop it in the broiler for a little longer and presto! dinner is done. I also want to get some pesto and try this with some grilled chicken and maybe a fancy cheese. The possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment