August 5, 2013

Summer Stripes




Summer Stripes Dress- Me Made
Belt- Target
Sandals- Target
Sunnies- Target
Nail Colour-Revlon "Rapid Ruby"
Lipstick-Kate Moss for Rimmel London in 01




I know that everytime I make a dress I say that I'll never make a new pattern, this is my favourite, and all that, but seriously I want this dress in 30 different prints and colours. er. mer. gerd. I love it! The fabric is a quilting cotton I bought from Fabric.com eons ago (same time I bought the pink version that became these). It was white and red and the stripes were wider than I'd been hoping and also it was just so... bright. Y'know that almost neon-bluish-blinding white (the same kind that mall bridal gowns are made of...)? Well that's what this was. Which is why it sat in my stash for so long. Then one day a few weeks ago I had a brilliant idea and tea dyed it. After a few hours it was absolutely perfect! Like a faded American Flag. I'd been toying with dress ideas in my head and saw some photo on tumblr of a dress that just seemed so perfectly Summer-worthy. And thus this dress was born. The top is Simplicity 1692 (like this one) but with an altered boat neck. I also skipped the waist tucks since I was adding elastic. The skirt is a simple dirndl skirt with elastic stitched in. I actually am absurdly proud of the way I attached the elastic on this. I hate exposed casing stitching, and I hate visible zig-zag stitches. Solution? I left quite a bit of seam allowance in the waist and stitched it there. Then I tacked the sides down and pinked the raw edge of the casing seam allowance. The hem and arm and neck openings are faced with red hem lace and hand stitched. It was a super quick project and I am seriously in love. 



No comments:

Post a Comment