July 25, 2014

Off!

Today I am flying to Edinburgh! I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am I HAVE SO MANY PLANS!! I am so so so so so so! Very! Excited!

This first week I will be in Edinburgh, then will spend a month in and around Falkirk and Stirling. If anyone has an recommendations, send them my way! Edinburgh is a place I have been dreaming of visiting for so long I've been panicking about getting everything in to this one week. I will be flying out of Edinburgh though, and it looks like I'll probably have a little bit of time at the end of this trip to squeeze in anything I've missed. But for now I have a plan for sight seeing and I'm really excited about it! My first day there I'll be doing a bit of charity shop digging in an attempt to fill my suitcase back up and I've been making mental notes of the kinds of clothes I'd like to find so I played around on Polyvore to make up some outfits for the things I'll be doing this week.


Flying


Today I decided to keep things super casual and comfy. My flight leaves Norway in the evening and I'll get into Scotland around 10pm (which will be my 11pm), so clothes that are basically pajamas are great. When Erica visited me on Spring Break we painted some grey sweatshirts, and mine, while hilariously huge now, has been a super comforting and comfy reminder of home. It's definitely waaaaay too hot here in Norway for the sweatshirt now, but when I get into cold and rainy Scotland, I will definitely be glad for it! An oversized chambray button up is also comfy and much cooler for the Norwegian heat wave! And since I am always hot, it's a nice light layer to wear under my sweatshirt.
I know so many people have a problem with leggings-as-pants, but I'm going to be hanging at the airport all day, sitting on a plane, and then crashing into bed as soon as I am checked into my hostel. I'm wearing leggings as pants.
Does anyone else ever have a problem with their feet swelling on planes? It doesn't happen to me every time I fly, but often enough that wearing constricting footwear is super uncomfortable. But my big old rain boots take up a lot of valuable room in my suitcase. My solution is to wear my boots to and from the airport and keep some flip flops in my backpack for in the airport and on the plane. Complicated, maybe, but comfortable!
The backpack I originally brought with me broke upon arrival in Iceland, so I've been making due with tote bags, which is not an ideal option. But luckily my wonderful mama sent me the backpack I used in High School (which is pretty damn embarrassing but also a magical time capsule of budding political views, music taste, and female empowerment world views of myself and my bests). I'm doing my best to finally become one of those people who travel light and well and I think this outfit is a perfect for that.


Edinburgh Day I

My first day in Edinburgh I'm planning a fairly light schedule that will include thrifting, and exploring the castle. The whole week I am there will be rainy and chilly and I think a cozy cream sweater, comfy trousers,and my military jacket will do just the trick of being warm and stylish. Flats are good for walking and being cute and a few simple accessories bring it all together.


Edinburgh Day II


Day two will be a little more full. I'm planning on walking the rest of the Royal Mile ending at Holyroodhouse and then seeing the monuments and view from Calton Hill. My mustard zinnia skirt is really too big at this point, but that skirt has proven to be such a great piece to have while travelling. The one "fancy" purse I brought is a vintage Dooney & Bourke bag, which I highly recommend if you are travelling to a rainy location. Again, some good walking shoes and simple accessories complete a cute look.


Edinburgh Day III


For my third day in town I'm planning on hiking up to Arthur's Seat, the highest point in Edinburgh, and having a picnic and exploring. That night I'll be giddily going on a Ghost Tour! I have a silly love for haunted anything, and have gone on a ghost tour in San Francisco before and they are so much fun! This one takes you down into the vaults and underground of Edinburgh and I seriously cannot wait. A good hiking outfit for me always involves shorts or a skirt because I always get too hot, and you have to indulge in a little tartan when you go to Scotland.



Edinburgh Day IV


Day three will be for museums! Oh there are just so many I want to go see! I seriously wish I had this exact outfit in my suitcase, and I will definitely be looking for some of these items as I attempt to replenish my sadly lacking wardrobe. 
Edinburgh Day V


Day five I have left somewhat open. A day for maybe seeing the rest of the museums I want to check out. Or a little more thrifting, or perhaps I will check out a few historical sights. We'll see! I tried on this dress at H&M here in Norway and loved it, but decided to skip it because of the high Norwegian Kroner price. But I really, really loved it, so I may go back once I am in (much cheaper) Scotland and pick it up. It's definitely a dress I'd wear once I get home too, so fingers crossed I can find it! Otherwise I may have my mom see if she can find it for me back in The States.


Edinburgh Day VI

Day 6 I have to leave fairly early to catch the train to my next location. Another comfy but still cute travel outfit as I head to Falkirk where I will spend the next month. I actually bought a t shirt very similar to this one in Norway and it has become one of my favourite tops.

I always like seeing inspiration posts like these, so hopefully y'all do too!

 I am seriously so excited for the next league of my trip! I have a few more Norway posts, so hopefully those will be up sometime in the next week or so. 

1 comment:

  1. It's nutty how you have this so planned out. I don't even know what I'm doing an hour from now! lol

    My friend recently spent a couple months in Spain on a mission trip and they were allowed a backpack and a purse. I think I pack more than that for a sleepover.

    After writing this comment and reading this post, I feel like I need to go sort out my life choices or something! I hope you have FANTASTIC time, Ashley! I just love catching your updates on instagram. :)

    ReplyDelete