February 1, 2011

Ringmaster's Secret

Ringmaster's Secret

Remember when I posted this and said it would make more sense later that week, and then I got ridiculously sick, which equals me being a big baby?

Oh good.

Ringmaster's Secret
Dress- made by me, 
Cardigan- thrifted, 
Tights- sock dreams, 
Shoes- ebay, 
Sweater clip- vintage, 
Earrings- World Market, 
Black velvet headband- made by me.

Ringmaster's Secret

Ringmaster's Secret

Well this is the dress I made that made me all circus inspired. I used this pattern again but used added the sleeves. I realized I have a pathological fear of sleeves. For some reason I cringe whenever it comes time to sew them on. I'm not really sure why, but they make me so very nervous. Which is just stupid. I mean they aren't exactly difficult things to sew. seam, attach, hem. Not complicated in anyway, shape or form. But I get so nervous when it comes time to attach a sleeve. I have another sewing project to share with you later this week- also with sleeves- and the same thing happened. I suppose I am just sleeveophobic...

Ringmaster's Secret

Ringmaster's Secret

Ringmaster's Secret

Longtime readers may remember this fabric from this dress (which I don't actually know it's fate because I no longer own it, but have no memory of getting rid of it). I swear there was twenty yards of it. Years ago some lady in the church we were attending at the time, gave my mom bolts and bolts of fabric, this among it. No one ever used it so I adopted the fabric and I still have enough to make a skirt or two (which I plan on making this coming week by the way. I want to 'knock off' this dress).  I was really afraid it would end up looking really silly, but I'm actually so in love with this thing! When I was making this one I realized that the side pocket part was actually supposed to be cut on the bias (I previously had not been doing so), and I debated it forever, but in the end I really love the effect! I also did a button placket instead of a zipper. I am abominable at putting zippers in (grrrr), so I've been avoiding them like the plague. I used some vintage buttons I picked up heaven knows where, and then added some rick-rack to the neck and sleeves. All-in-all, I love it!
Ringmaster's Secret

Ringmaster's Secret


Ringmaster's Secret


My shoes are pretty exciting too! I have been searching for some affordable three strap flats like those infamous Chloe ones from a few seasons back. Well about a week before Christmas I found some on ebay! And now they are mine. I've worn them a few times, but haven't had the chance to photograph them yet. I can't say they are the most comfortable things ever (they are a tad too tight and short), but I love them anyway. And by the way, it also took me forever to find a pair of red tights that were actually red! I ordered a  few pairs from We Love Colors and was not too impressed. The red pair I bought were bright pink, and they seemed really thin. maybe I'll give them a second chance, but for now these ones will do.

Ringmaster's Secret

Happy February!
Don't forget to enter in the CSN giveaway!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely dress. :p Make me one. Haha. <3
    Love red, black and white combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is beautiful! And those shoes are just super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley! We're so sorry the color wasn't what you expected. It sounds like you would have preferred our "scarlet red" color, it can be tough to differentiate colors due to monitor settings! If a color is not what you expected you can always return it for a full refund!

    More info here:
    http://www.welovecolors.com/Info/ReturnsExchanges.aspx

    Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gazel- Haha! Thanks! Maybe someday I'll be confident enough about my sewing to make things for other people!

    Laura- Thank you very much!

    WLC- I actually do like the colour that came, they just weren't what I was expecting. But thank you for taking the time to leave a comment and let me know!

    ReplyDelete