July 16, 2012

1984


Remember these?
 And remember this? Well they got fixed and now they are these:



Earrings: F21
Blouse: Thrifted
Shorts: Made by me, altered
Flats: Walmart



It was a simple fix. They got taken in (a lot!), the waist was shortened a good 2 inches (which I should have done originally anyway), and hemmed into shorts. So much more wearable! Once I had taken them in I realized that even if they fit I just didn’t wear them enough. I can count on one hand the number of times they have seen daylight (it’s four by the way). I debated what to do with them and remembered this Polyvore collage I made a while back and decided that shorts were a fantastic option! I was going to try and scallop the hem but it was late when I was doing this and my brain started to hurt. But in the end I like them a little on the plain side. I think they’ll go with more options this way.




I ended up wearing this on a jaunt to Portland (more on that later!) and it was perfect. Cool, comfortable, and adorable! I feel like this is something my mom would have worn in college or her early twenties. Actually she would probably still wear this.(In fact now that I am thinking about it I’m pretty sure there is a picture of her and I at the San Diego Zoo or someplace and she is wearing pretty much the same outfit. I will have to find it when I get back home.) My mom has always been into vintage clothes and most of the “modern” things she wore were vintage inspired. I remember as a kid loving playing in her closet which was always filled with the prettiest things. Laura Ashley dresses out the wazoo, pretty florals and pastels, I loved them all! I don’t tend to think our styles are all that similar, but my mama’s wardrobe did leave a pretty lasting impression on me. I suppose some people might be horrified to step out in their mother’s clothes, but for me that’s a pretty good sign I’m doing something right.



In three days I leave Corvallis. It's a weird feeling. There are lots of things I will miss, but for the past two weeks I've been antsy to get out of here. 
Here is to new beginnings!

No comments:

Post a Comment